uc davis materials science engineering undergraduate requirements

University and College Requirements

Meet these Requirements to Succeed

University Requirements

Entry-level writing requirement (ELWR)

May be satisfied in ANY of the following ways:
  • 30 or better on the ACT, English Language Arts.

  • 30 or better on the ACT, combined English/Writing (last administered June 2015).

  • 680 or better on the SAT, Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing (beginning with fall 2018 admits).

  • 680 or better on the College Board SAT Reasoning Test, Writing (last administered January 2016).

  • 3 or above on either Advanced Placement (AP) Examination in English (Language and Composition or Literature and Composition).

  • 5 or above on an International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level English A: Literature exam (formerly known as Higher Level English A1 exam).

  • 6 or above on an IB Standard Level English A: Literature exam (formerly known as Standard Level English A1 exam).

  • A grade of C or higher in an acceptable English composition course offered by a college or university (must be completed before enrolling at UC Davis).

  • A passing score on the Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE).

New students who have not satisfied the Entry-Level Writing Requirement (ELWR) prior to enrollment may take one of the following courses to satisfy the requirement: UC Davis' Practices in College Reading and Writing (UWP 7), Sacramento City College's Workload 57 (WLD 57), or the UC Online Introduction to Writing and Rhetoric (WR 39A).

UWP 7 is a face-to-face, 4 unit credit-bearing course taught by writing faculty at UC Davis. Workload 57 is a basic writing course taught on the Davis campus that carries 4.5 units of UC Davis workload credit. WR 39A is an online course taught by UC Irvine faculty through UC Online that carries 4 units of credit. If you are interested in registering for WR 39A, you should be sure that you meet the eligibility requirements and consult with your academic advisor prior to registration. You may not take these classes with a pass/no pass grade mode if you want to satisfy this requirement. A grade of C or higher in UWP 7, WLD 57, or WR 39A will satisfy the ELWR.

If you have completed your UWP multilingual coursework, you may enroll in Writing 39A or Workload 57S. The "S" sections, which use the same curriculum and standards as other sections, have a smaller maximum enrollment (18 rather than 25) and are taught by instructors with ESL training.

If you place into UWP 21, 22 and/or 7M, you have three quarters, plus the number of quarters you are held for UWP multilingual coursework, to fulfill the ELWR.

The American History and Institutions requirement

May be satisfied in ANY of the following ways:
  • Completing one high school unit in American history with a C or better in the course.
  • Completing 1/2 of a high school unit in American history and 1/2 of a high school unit in civics or American government, with a grade of C or better in each course.
  • Presenting evidence that the requirement has been accepted as satisfied at another UC campus, or at another college whose credits are acceptable for transfer to UC Davis.
  • Successfully completing the Advanced Placement (AP) examination in American History.
  • Completing an acceptable UC Davis course.

General Education (GE) requirements

The General Education (GE) requirement promotes the intellectual growth of all undergraduates by ensuring that they acquire a breadth of knowledge that will broaden their perspectives beyond their major and serve them well as participants in a knowledge-based society. These courses get students involved in the learning process by expecting considerable writing and class participation. The requirement provides students with knowledge of not only the content, but also the methodologies of different academic disciplines, which encourages them to consider the relationships between disciplines.

More information on the GE requirement can be found at the Office of the Registrar.

Minimum progress requirement

The quantitative standards, referred to as minimum progress requirements, define the minimum number of units that you must complete. At UC Davis, you are expected to fulfill the 180-unit minimum degree requirement within 12 quarters, or four years. This means you are expected to complete, on average, 15 units per quarter. Detailed information on the minimum progress requirement can be found at Office of the Registrar.  


College of Engineering Requirements

Senior residence requirement

Units while in residence at UC Davis: 35 of final 45 units.

Scholarship requirement

GPA for all UC Davis coursework: 2.000.

GPA for all engineering coursework: 2.000.

Upper-division English composition requirement

May be satisfied in ONE of two ways:
  1. Completing 70 units and passing the Upper-Division English Composition Exam (UDCE). The exam is offered at no cost and is administered once a quarter. Visit the University Writing Program's website for more information regarding the exam, including registration and dates.

  2. Completing 90 units and receiving a grade of C- or better in one of the following courses: UWP 102E, 102F, 104A, 104E or 104T.