- How long does it take to complete an M.S. degree? Ph.D. degree?
- What is the Department’s code to have official GRE scores sent?
- Does the Department require a GRE subject test or the Writing Assessment test?
- Will the Department accept computer-based GRE scores?
- Does the Department require applicants to contact faculty before submitting an application?
- Does the Department require applicants to list faculty whose research is of interest to them?
- Where do I send transcripts?
- Where do I send the application fee?
- Who needs to submit TOEFL scores?
- How can I include papers I have written or a resume with my online application?
- When will I be notified whether I have been admitted?
- Where can I find more information about being an International Student?
- Whom do I contact if I have a question that is not answered here?
The Master of Science program usually takes most students two (2) calendar years.
The Doctoral program usually takes most students four to five (4 – 5) years.
For more detailed descriptions of coursework requirements please look at the Materials Science & Engineering Graduate Handbook under Course Requirements.
- Materials Science & Engineering M.S., Plan I and Ph.D. Degree Requirements
- Materials Science & Engineering, Master of Engineering Degree Requirements
To ensure that your official GRE scores are forwarded to the Department of Materials Science & Engineering you must give ETS the Materials Science & Engineering department code (1403) when requesting official score reports to be sent to UC Davis (institution code – 4834).
Only the general GRE consisting of the verbal, quantitative, analytical writing sections is required.
We accept any scores reported to us from ETS so long as they are no more than five (5) years old.
Does the Department require applicants to list faculty in the department whose research is of interest to them?
Yes. And in your online application you will also be asked to indicate your top four (4) research areas of interest or desired areas of specialization in order of your preference.
UC Davis requires academic records from each college-level institution you have attended. You will be instructed to upload scanned copies of your transcripts after you have submitted your online application. For more details visit https://gradstudies.ucdavis.edu/submit-transcripts.
The application fee should be paid by credit card or e-check at the time you submit your online application.
Applicants whose native language or language of instruction is not English must take the TOEFL or IELTS.
The minimum score required for admission to the Department is 600 on the paper test, or 100 on the internet-based test for TOEFL (iBT). We require at least 7 on a 9-point scale for IELTS. Scores must not be more than two (2) years old.
Current or recent graduate study in the United States does not grant a waiver of this departmental admissions requirement. There is no conditional admission. The TOEFL Institution Code for UC Davis is 4834; a departmental code is not required.
We strongly recommend that you schedule your TOEFL or IELTS examinations no later than November so that the Testing Agency can report your scores to us by our deadline of January 15th.
Our program does not allow applicants to upload curriculum vitae, resume, and/or writing samples via the online application web site. We will not accept any of these to form part of the application. This helps to maintain equity in evaluating applications.
You will be notified by email by the Dean of Graduate Studies that a decision has been made on your application. You can access that decision by going online to your application where you will find an “electronic letter.” You can also check the current status of your application online. Most decisions are made by April.
Further information about being an international student at UC Davis can be obtained at the Services for International Students and Scholars Office at http://siss.ucdavis.edu.
Contact: Graduate Student Affairs Officer at email@example.com
Send mail to Graduate Student Affairs Officer, Department of Chemical Engineering & Materials Science, UC Davis, 3001B Ghausi Hall, One Shields Avenue, Davis CA 95616, USA or call (530) 752-7952.